Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Friday, March 11, 2005

The Waiting Game

Counting today, I have 14 days till my cast comes off. The "coming out" is March 24th. Surprisingly, after the 3rd week, my energy levels increased. I suspect a milestone in the healing process. The problem is I can't do anything with this increased energy level. I have been moving around the house more. I am also able to leave my foot down for longer periods of time without much swelling. Going outside is still problematic as we've had several days of very cold weather as well as snow. I'm still quite afraid of falling. I did take a Backpacking book out of the library a week ago. A good book by a veteran backpacker. Unfortunately I've forgotten the author's name and the name of the book. Written in 1996, it has lots of great detail on equipment and how to's for the sport. It was a second edition and with the advent of even better high tech equipment, I suspect he'll have to put out another edition to keep up the equipment sections. Surprisingly enough, I got the same info and tips from my friend Bill Peacock. Even so, it was good to confirm that the equipment, supplies and training I've already bought (and done for last year) were correct. All I need to do now is heal up and get back in the gym. I've got an American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure bike ride on June 12th to train for as a short term goal. (Go to my web page on the ADA site to donate. http://main.diabetes.org/site/TR?px=1591066&fl=en_US&s_tafId=4926&pg=personal&fr_id=2289 )
Intermediate goal is to do some overnights in the Adirondacks to train (Yes, Again!) for the rest of the Northville-Lake Placid trail in the fall. Long term is the Appalachian Trail next spring. Speaking of that, I've been following the weather for the southern end of the trail on the morning news. It's been rainy/snowy and cold since the beginning of March. I wish all of the early spring hikers well.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home