Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Friday, March 04, 2005

3 week Ankle Check

I had my 3 week check of my ankle on the 3rd. Xrays were taken and showed that the broken piece was still in place. Therefore, I have 3 more weeks of having a cast then on March 24th, I get liberated. So, what have I learned since being invalided.
First, that I can ask other people to help me. They'll do it gladly. I don't have to be so fiercely independent. Secondly that I have a much greater sense of appreciation for simple movement. The ability to walk from one place to another while also carrying something is now high on my list of skills I'm eager to get back. Thirdly, I have a much greater appreciation for the difficulty the aged and permanently disabled have. I went to a small store on Wednesday and had to "crutch" thru to what I wanted. By the time I got to the spot, I was tired and ready to sit. Fortunately, a chair was near but that can't be the case everywhere. Mainly I stay home and if I need something, I have to be specific and send my husband off to get it. It's very frustrating not being able to just go in, browse around, and pick and choose. I'll get over it in a few weeks but I'll remember how difficult it's been.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home