Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Tuesday, December 07, 2004

Getting Fit

Well, laziness set in after my last therapy session and I've regained 7 pounds of the 11 I lost during the summer. I also only do my foot exercises on an infrequent basis. Naturally that means my feet have begun to hurt again. Therefore, I've resolved to get myself a more structured exercise and fitness program. I checked out 2 options in my area, the FitHappens commercial fitness company and the local (Gloversville) YMCA. The Y has more options; pool, sauna, free weights, weight machines and a few exercise machines mainly bikes and treadmills. The FitHappens has the free weights, weight machines and lots of exercise machines like the treadmills, exercise bikes but also the eliptical stuff. It does not have a pool or sauna. Both have some classes, yoga, etc. The Y has water aerobics too. Since I need to work out but stay off of my feet, I'm thinking swimming would be best. Since I'm barely able to stay afloat, the water aerobics may be good but I think I could struggle through laps without drowning myself. My brother Don is also thinking of the Y and swimming. We may both join up and meet up to encourage each other thru some laps. I have a 4H meeting tonight at 7pm. I may just take my free trip to the YMCA they gave me to give the place a try and go down there before my 4H meeting. I am encouraged to get moving on this not only by my ever increasing girth but cause I know I'll feel so much better. I saw a recent CNN special on dieting. It boils down to having enought discipline to eat reasonably and get an hour of exercise per day. If I ever want to do more backpacking, I need to be lighter, more flexible and stronger. The YMCA sounds like just the prescription I need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home