Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Thursday, April 03, 2008

Middleburg Cliffs

It's been weeks since I've been out hiking. Something always seem to get in the way. However, I planned since last week to get out today and I got lucky. The weather was sunny and up to the 50's today. Anyway, my hiking friend Kathy, Randy and I went south to Schoharie County where there is little or no snow to do a hike. I really wanted to test out my new LLBean boots before my trip to Springer Mtn on Monday. Anyway, we met up and got to the trailhead about 0945 after spotting Kathy's car at the far end of the trail.

This trail is part of the Long Path, starting in NYC and ending at Thatcher Park in Albany. Kathy knew about this particular part of the trail from an earlier hike and let us in on it. Neither of us had a real trail map or guide. Just winging it. At anyrate, it's across the Valley from our previous hike of Vrooman's Nose. The initial part of the hike is actually in a housing development in Middleburg NY. Pretty cool. It is a little scary, doing a rock climb. I keep trying to "be one with the rock'. It makes it hard to get up and over, but I managed. Making it even harder, a pair of Turkey Buzzards were circling the site. Were they acutually anticipating the meal? The rest of the hike, while uphill, was pretty pleasant, especially for an early April day in upstate NY.

I can hardly wait to get to Springer Mountain.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home