Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Saturday, March 01, 2008

2/25/08 Turner's Gap to Rt 70

We were out of the house by 0830 and met Kathleen and Wally at a Boonsboro park and ride location where we left Wendy's car. Wally drove us up to Turner's Gap and dropped us off then headed up to Rt 70. Since today is only a 5 mile hike, he's not going back to his camper, he'll park then hike in to meet us. By 0910, we were dropped off and on the trail The weather started cool, about 38 degrees, and cloudy. The trail lead up the ridge but at a gentle slope, not too tiring. About 1 1/2 miles in, were were at the Boonsboro Washington Monument. We spent a few minutes there. I climbed to the top of the monument for a view of the valley and we all had a quick snack. Wally hiked the 3 1/2 miles to the monument in the time we hiked the mile and a half! While there, Wally took a group photo of us which Kathleen has posted on her Trail Journal site. Just as we were getting ready to go, a park ranger pulled up. He asked us if we saw anything unusual, we said no. He said there was a report of a naked man running around in the park. We all laughed and said it was pretty cold for that but no, we hadn't seen anyone. He said thanks and drove off and we got back on our way. the last 3 miles were as easy as the first and I wa at Wally's car just behind Denny at 1210. Kathleen and Wendy were there about 1230. On the drive back, Wally said he believes the ranger thought he was the "naked man". The ranger met Wally at one of the road crossings to ask hime some questions and again at the car park at Rt 70. Pretty strange! Wally was hiking in shorts but he had on a green pullover sweater. On the ride back to Wendy's car, we decided to meet for supper at Appleby's as it is my last day here. I had a great time this week. Wendy's a great host and I'm only 19 miles short of completing Maryland AT!

1 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

It had been months since I took a look at your hiking blog..... It is great to see Danger Mouse out there again! I have to admit your proximity to the AT makes me jealous. I wish I was out there with you!

March 16, 2008 at 7:18 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home