Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Saturday, March 01, 2008

2/21-22/08 - Rest Days

I'm taking a rest day to heal my groin and toes. Both 2nd toes are severely bruised, I'm not sure why it happens but it's painful just to have socks over them. I may avail myself of LLBean when I get home for a second opinion on boots. Anyway, Wendy went to do some running around chores and I read James Patterson's "Jack and Jill". I did bestir myself to go with Wendy to the grocery store to buy supplies for tomorrow's dinner with Kathleen, Wally and Denny. We decided crock pot beef stew would be appropriate. The groin hurt every time I lifted my knee to get in the car. Oh well. Later in the day I did sit on my bed without a thought. A good sign. I finished "Jack and Jill" and borrowed a book from Wendy called "In Beauty May She Walk" by Leslie Mass. The weather reports for the 22nd are poor, lots of ice so it looks like I'll have plenty of reading time. I bought a paperback at a swap shop we were at today to read later. Only 50 cents so both it and the "Jack and Jill" will be donated to a trail shelter. Wendy also has a book I'd like to read, "Blistered Kind of Love: by Angela and Duffy Ballard about thier hike of the Pacific Crest Trail.

I am up at 6am on the 22nd and the ice storm hasn't been too bad overnight. I earned my keep by shovelling the drive and walk in case Kathleen and Wally make it here from southern Virginia. I also helped Wendy get the beef stew started. After that it was just read, read, read, finishing the Leslie Mass book just before Kathleen and Wally arrived at 6:30pm. We had a nice dinner with planning for Saturday's hiking and tales of our hiking exploits. Bed by 9pm for an early start in the morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home