Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Friday, November 09, 2007

Big Marsh Mt

Last Saturday (the 3rd) I joined my friend Kathy and the Schenectady Chapter of the ADK Club to hike Big Marsh Mt. The hike leader, Walt, likes to do bushwhacks and I've been out with him before. There were 6 of us on the hike. We met quite a few hunters also and had nice chats with them. The hike starts on old logging roads then becomes a bushwhack up the mountain. Once at the summit there really weren't any views but since the trees had dropped their leaves, we could get some peeks at the nearby Evergreen and G Lakes. It's a little over 2 miles to the summit which is 2588 feet. We got to the top about 11am so decided to hike over to the lesser peak. Big Marsh Mt has an extended peak and it was relatively easy to get over there. Once there, we sat down and ate lunch and had a nice chat with everyone. After lunch, we decided to bushwhack back to the trailhead instead of going back the way we came. That side of the mountain is pretty steep and a lot of spruce has grown up that we had to push our way thru. We got back to the cars relatively unscathed tho I did slip once coming down a steep spot and got my left foot caught in a hole between rocks. Fortunately, only a bruise on the top of my foot. A nice day out.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home