Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Finishing the NPT June 21st

Was bored last night so went to bed about 1900. No wonder then I was awake and got up about 0530. Any way, took my time and had some tea, cooked from my sleeping bag. Went to fill my water bladder (having saved our a cup of water to cook my cereal.). That chore done, got back in my sleeping bag cause it was very chilly, and made and ate breakfast. I had forgotten my fleece so have been using the sleeping bag liner (silk) as a shawl. I cleaned up my pot and dried everything then took a look at my feet. The left one has a big blister on the ball of my foot and some kind of cut or rubbed raw spot from my boot on my heel. Put iodine on them and a bandaid on the cut and moleskin on the blister. Helped out quite a bit. The right foot has a big callous on the big toe and the 3rd and 4th toes are sore from hitting the boot. Those nails are already starting to bruise. Nothing I can do about that. I had a set of dry underwear and socks so I put them on. The boots are still wet - oh well. The shirt was still damp, I put it on anyway. the socks were still wet so I will hang them on the back of my pack to dry during the day. I packed everthing up and was on my way by 0810. By 0930 I waas a Sewards Leanto and took a break. On the trail I came upon a pink lady slipper and took a couple of pics but I was under attack by mosquitoes so I suspect they are going to be blurry. (Turns out they were blurry) By 1130 I was at Ouluska Leanto and ate lunch. Bugs really bad now and a storm is coming. I put the camera in the bear canister. I was going to take pictures of "The Hermitage", the remains of Noah John Rondeau Hermitage "City Hall". He was a hermit, living in this clearing 1912 - 1950 and famous to all woods people in this area. Nothing left now but the clearing and some iron goods; hoops, etc. But I was afraid of rain so put the camera away.About 2pm the storm hit. I just kept walking. It didn't last long. By the time I got to Cold River Leanto #2 the sun was out. The place has a picnic table so I sat in the sun and let my shirt dry a little. Happily there were few bugs out now but I sparingly put on bug repellant. I still need to get thru tomorrow. By 1530 I was at Duck Hole. No Kathy or Gail here to great me but they did say they were going to wimp out if it rained. (Note: At the beginning of the trip, Kathy let me know she and Gail were planning to come into Duck Hole from the Upper Works trail and stay overnight with me at Duck Hole.) I stayed in the new leanto and from there could see the old beaver dam and the remains of the bridge and dam looking downstream. I could also see another storm coming up the valley so at 4pm I went and filled my water bladder. I had spent some time gathering firewood for a small celebratory "last night on the trail" fire but by 1645 it was raining. I'm watching it rain wrapped up in my sleeping bag liner in my dry sleeping clothes. Everything else is hanging up, drying as much as it can in damp weather. My feet are resting, not too bad shape for a 12 mile day. Soon I'll make dinner and eat it in my sleeping bag. I've saved a chocolate Cliff Bar for dessert. Someone left an old Reader's Digest in the leanto so I read for awhile, watched the rain come down and went to bed about 8pm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home