Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Thursday, June 14, 2007

Mud Lake Once More

Well, since May 30th, I've been letting my leg heal. On Wednesday, the 13th, my spouse and I decided to hike up to Mud Lake once more, hoping to find the elusive ATV trail we just know is there. My leg withstood a 25 mile bike ride on Sunday for the American Diabetes Association Tour de Cure ride so I felt ready to tackle a short hike. Off we go at 8am and reach the trailhead about 8:15 and head off. We decided to try once more, the old farm road trail. It took about 20 minutes to get to the hunting shack and after taking a couple of compass bearings, head off to the left on the ATV trail. The trail winds around alot, taking advantage of the contours of the mountain. We found all of our last surveyor tape trail markers and got to the point where we turned around before. We went ahead and kept on going, following the old ATV trail. Other than our marks from weeks ago, it didn't look like anyone had been up there. So, on we go and lo and behold, not more than 1/3 to 1/2 mile farther on, we come to Mud Lake on our left. We were sooooooo close! Anyway. We find a relatively less steep descent about mid-lake to the lake shore and go on down. A really nice view of a small lake. There was a lot of beaver sign of them leaving the lake and coming on shore, chewed beech trees and two beaver lodges at the north end of the lake. All around the lake, lots of bunchberry and sheep's laurel were in bloom and the whole lake perimeter was covered in blueberry bushes. Can't wait till they're ripe. We skirted around the edge of the lake, going south to reach the point we came to the lake when we bushwhacked in. I found a pink lady slipper in bloom, on a very steep bank, in amongst the blueberries. Nice find and I expect there was more but I didn't see any. At any rate, I felt it was a great hike and was glad to find an easier way to the lake than bushwhacking straight across the woods. I think I'm ready to bring my hiking club into the area.

Also, I'm glad to say my knee felt fine. I was also testing my new boots with the commercial orthotic support. The boots felt fine, the orthotic support not so much. I think a long hike would have me in pain. I'll get my custom orthotics back into the boots. I'm closer than ever to being ready for a major long distance hike. I'm ready to tackle the rest of the NPT, probably starting the 19th. Can hardly wait!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home