Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Monday, June 25, 2007

Finishing the NPT June 20th

There was lots of rain last night. Also hot and humid. I'm glad I decided to stay in the lean to rather than test my tent. In preparation for the mice in the AT shelters, I had several visitors during the night. A couple of creatures were right up on my bug net. I'm up at 0545 and it's still sprinkling. The warm weather is also making lots of mosquitos active. Hope I have enough repellant to last the trip.

I left the leanto at 0810 and hiked to Kelly Point leanto without incident. Had a snack and left there abut 0945. At 1000 I met the church group who were staying at the Plumleys Leanto. I saw their register entry yesterday. They were heading out. I asked if they would call Randy and let him know I was OK and on schedule. They said sure. (They did make the call.) So I march on, over lots of mucky terrain till I get to Plumleys, about 1150. Still hot and humid and the mosquitos are fierce. Luckily the lake breeze was keeping the bugs at bay a little. I took a half hour for lunch. Took off my boots and socks and let the blister and new callouses I got on Tuesday dry. A half hour isn't enough time, even with the breeze, for my socks and boots to dry. So I put them back on and packup and hit the trail. It's very muddy in spots, several beaver caused water hazards to cross. Just after leaving Plumley's, I came upon a doe standing in the middle of the trail. She wouldn't move, even after I talked to her so I took a couple steps forward. She still wouldn't move. Finally, within 10 feet from her and pointing my hiking pole at her, she ambled off the path about 5 feet. Didn't seem to be concerned about me at all. About 50 feet farther down the trail, I was startled out of my wits when a doe broke cover from brush right beside the trail and dashed off a short way. She must have been bedded down and didn't like me being very close.

Hiking on, I had some confusion after the Shantuck clearing. The guide book says the Cold River Leantos are just left of the end of a suspension bridge. It also says I have to cross Cold Stream on foot. Turnes out the Cold Stream- a pretty big stream!, has a suspension bridge. Thus my confusion. I even went left at the end of the Cold Stream bridge, even tho it was obvious there is no trail there and bushwhacked around for 100 feet or so. Then I recrossed Cold Stream and went back to the little campsite and reread the guide book. I determine I'm at Cold Stream and decide to hike on. So I go about 1/2 mile and there is a huge suspension bridge and the leanto is right where it's supposed to be. The Cold River has some great water fall action going on and I took some pics from the suspension bridge. While making today's journal entry I looked up just in time to see and animal; possibly pine martin, otter or weasel. I don't know cause it was going pretty fast but it did stop for a second to look me over. After dinner I rinsed out a pair of worn socks and my shirt. The socks to have for Friday and the shirt cause I'm starting to smell to high heaven. The day has turned breezy and cool. Hope these things dry by morning.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home