Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Sunday, June 24, 2007

Finishing the NPT June 19th

I had a stretch of appointment-less days and my torn muscle had healed so I decided to make another stab at finishing the NPT. Randy and I left the house at 0705 with my pack weight at 31 pounds. It took and hour and a half to get to Blue Mountain Lake to pick up where I left off a few weeks ago. Randy took a couple of starting out pictures and I was off and hiking by 0845. It only took an hour and a half to get to the Tirrell Pond and NPT trail junction (3.3 miles). The trail was pretty easy going till my 1130 lunch break. The it was up, up, up the Blue Ridge for 2 hours. At about 1330 I reach the height of land, a little over 3000 feet, but there's no view, too many trees. Then it's down, down, down very steep terrain for a little over an hour. At 1430 I have a sit down break on a nice log and eat a snack. I finally came to Rt28 about 1530 and hiked up Tarbell Rd to the trailhead. The whole day was very hot and humid and mosquito filled. The road hike was in full sun and boy was I roasting! I had to reapply repellant every time I took a break. It only took me half an hour to get to the trailhead and sign the register. About 1/4 mile along the trail, a partridge charged at me with her neck all puffed out and wings spread, screeching. I realized her chicks must be close because she was making such a fuss. I thought she was going to attack but as I kept moving along the trail, she just kept screeching and flapping and hissing at me till I finally got far enough away from the chicks. I got to the Caitlin Bay lean-to about 5pm. The 1st lean-to is right on the trail but also right next to a swampy area. There is another lean-to on Long Lake and I'd rather spend the night there where the lake breeze will keep the mosquitos down abit and be cooler for me too but my feet are really tired and I walk to the lake shore but the lean-to must be much farther along because I never saw it. I took some time to refill my water bladder, it had been so hot that I drank 3 liters of water by 4pm. I shlep back to the 1st lean-to and set up for the night. I see that a thunderstorm is brewing and I get into the shelter and settled in just in time. The storm hit about 1730. The 1st part of the storm didn't last long and it didn't clear the mosquitos or decrease the humidity. I decide to pull my bug net out of my tent and rig it up inside the lean-to. By 1830 I had eaten and it's been a long day. I'm in my sleeping bag by 8pm.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home