Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Monday, March 17, 2008

Springer Mountain Prep

I haven't been doing a lot of hiking, just local walks and time on the elipse and treadmill. I spent some time today going thru my gear in preparation for my trip to Georgia and Springer Mountain.

I have been carrying a first aid kit (14 oz) and an emergency kit (18 oz) both in nice cloth but not waterproof cases. I'm thinking after all this hiking that I might be able to cull some stuff from these two kits and make just one kit. I dropped band aids, small bottle of iodine, several gauze things and a sling and other stuff. I also dropped an extra pen, 2 mini bungees, extra nail clippers and tweezers (I didn't realize I had!), etc. Overall, I trimmed 10 oz from the two kits and managed to put everything I kept in one case. I still kept things like duct tape, emergency blanket, extra flashlight batteries, tent repair goo, antibacterial cream, gauze pads and sport tape to name some of the important stuff. I feel confident that I still have emergency and 1st aid supplies for crisis situations but without the extra weight!

I'm still on to meet my Tiger Bomber friends at Tiger Bomb's house in West VA on Apr 7th and then caravan down to Dahlonega Hiker Hostel on the 8th. I'm pretty darned excited.

2 Comments:

Blogger Craig said...

Connie,
Thanks for the tip about Cooper Lodge! So is your trip to Springer Mt. with the Tiger Bombers a section hike or are you thru-hiking?
-Craig

March 31, 2008 at 3:50 PM  
Blogger Connie Cockrell said...

Craig!
Good to hear from you. I'm only section hiking. My Long Trail experience set me back a bit. I realized I wasn't quite ready for a thru hike. However, a few days don't bother me at all. Keep up the hiking. Texas has got to have more hikes available! Good luck on your AT adventures.

April 3, 2008 at 7:28 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home