Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Sunday, May 11, 2008

Alpiner Hike: East Branch Sacandaga Trail

On Saturday May 10th, I led the Herkimer Alpiner hiking club hike to the East Branch Sacandaga trail and lean-to. There were 8 of us on the hike and the day couldn't have been nicer. The trail had dried out considerably since we did our hike survey last week. Lots of wildflowers were now in bloom and in addition to the ones last week I saw little white cinqfoil and black cohosh and dutchman's breeches. The last may be one of my new favorites. Once we got up to the lean-to, we explored the other side of the river, going over the bridge and a couple hundred feet to a stream flowing into the E. Sacandaga that has little water falls on it. Very pretty. We headed back to the trail head after lunch and again, total hiking time was 4 hours. (About 45 minutes at the lean-to.) Note; the may flies are out and were flying into eyes, nose and mouth. Time to bring out the bug nets!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home