Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Tuesday, August 22, 2006

Auger Falls Trail (East Side)

This morning my husband, Randy, and I decided to check out the alternate trail to Auger Falls. This trail starts on Rt 8 and goes west and north. I don't think we could have ordered a better day if we tried. The temp was perfect and the mosquitos were few. We didn't even put bug repellant on. The whole trail is a forest road, no steep parts at all and a very pleasant walk. We got to the gorge and followed the "informal" path downstream along the river. Randy tried a few places to take some pictures but we were very high up the side of the gorge and no place offered a good vantage point. At least not without hanging dangerously off the side. We scrambled back to our starting point and continued on the forest road for another .2 of a mile to McComber creek then turned around and went back to the car. The Guide Book talked about another falls, Griffin Falls. This is only about .1 mile from where we parked our car but it does entail a really steep scramble down into the gorge of the East Branch of the Sacandaga. We came out on the river and had to walk along the edge of the river upstream a little way then scramble over huge rock formations to see the falls. Very pretty. Worth the scramble I think. Going up and out of the gorge was not very tricky but I watched my footing pretty closely. A pretty good day over all with about 3 miles under our belts for the day.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home