Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Sunday, May 21, 2006

New Lightweight Gear

I finally decided to purchase some lightweight gear from Gossamer Gear. I bought a new backpack, hiking poles, shelter, and some misc. stuff, a tech light a titanium cookpot, alcohol stove and titanium tent pegs. Also Aqua Mira water treatment. Minus water, clothes and fuel, the pack weight comes in at 20 pounds. A 30 pound difference in pack weights. Ya Hooo!

I took it on a test hike on the nearby back road about 5 miles this morning. It only took me about 1/4 mile to get the straps all adjusted well and what a great feeling to hike along without all that extra weight. Now I have to send an email to Gossamer Gear to thank them and get some additional advice on seam sealing this material and to return a pair of foam pads that I purchased but don't need.

I haven't had a chance to set up the shelter. It's been raining here for days. I'll get a chance later in the week. The tent's a tarp-like affair made of the high tech ripstop silnet stuff. I had to trade off a sealed wall to floor arrangement for the lesser weight which I may still regret since I hike in the east with wet conditions but I'll give it a shot. There's a do-it-yourself attachable "tub" arrangement that I can make. I just have to download the directions from Gossamer Gear and find the material. I'll try it first with just a plastic ground cloth.

I still need a bear canister, fuel, some clothing and then I'll be ready to hit the Northville - Lake Placid trail.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home