Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Saturday, September 04, 2004

Baldwin Springs

I went for a hike on the 3rd (Friday). The goal was Baldwin Springs and back to the trailhead off of Rt. 8. I had to park 1/2 mile from the trailhead due to an unimproved road that was too unimproved for my car to get down. Anyway, I signed in at the trail head and Baldwin Springs was supposed to be 6.2 miles from that spot. I got past Fish Ponds 1 and 2 and at about the 4.1 mile mark, the trail just disappeared. Past the Fish Ponds the trail was fainter and fainter until I thought a deer would have trouble finding it. At the point in the guide book that the trail is supposed to go between two ridges, it just stopped. I cast around for about 15 minutes trying to pick it up but no luck. I briefly considered bushwacking my way but as a novice hiker, I felt that move to be just a little foolhardy. Therefore, I just went back. I made a quick comment when I signed off the trail so the rangers know the trail has gotten a little faint. So given my parking spot, it was a 9 mile hike instead of 13. Feet hurt by the time I got to the car. Perhaps because I didn't take any break except about 10 minutes at Fish Pond 1 on the way back. Essentially, 5 straight hours of hiking. This morning, 2 more pounds gone. Feet sore but walkable. I think because I did some stretching last night and this morning. Did a 5 mile hike this morning in light hiking boots and no pack with Randy and Spot. I feel great.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home