Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Wednesday, August 25, 2004

Willis to Murphy Lake

Randy, Spot and I took a hike today. We spotted the Jeep at the Creek Rd trailhead to Bennett, Middle and Murphy Lakes. Then we went up to the Pumpkin Hollow Rd trail head to the same lakes. End-to-end it's a 7.6 mile hike. The hike is great, no real ridge climbs and lots of nice woods. The views around Murphy Lake are really great. Only problem, the trail to the Murphy Lake lean-to is flooded. We tried to bushwhack around the raised lake levels and swamp but after 1/2 an hour realized we were not going to get around the swamp. So, back we go the the trail and take another look at the flooded trail. Decision time, go back to Pumpkin Hollow or wade through the lake/swamp? Decided to wade. The water came to mid-thigh. Once out the other side, about 20 feet, we were right at the lean-to. Sat down, emptied boots, wrung out socks. I zipped off my pant legs. We ate some snacks and rested. Only took an hour and a half to go the remaining 3.5 miles. Overall, about 8 miles in 5 hours. I include of course the bushwhack. Spot was glad to get into the Jeep and have a lie down on the ride home.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home