Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Day 5 NH White Mountains 8/8/08


Again, out of the hut by 0800. The weather report is the same as always, cloudy, possible showers, possible thunderstorms. Mt Madison was looming right outside the windows of the hut. This is today's challenge. The climb starts immediately and of course it's steep and a boulder field. By 0830, several folks who stayed at the hut with me passed me by on the way up. I got to the top (5363 ft) at 0900 and took the family pics of the group who passed me. Three teens also showed up. Family and teens were all peak bagging. One of the family group took my pic at the elevation sign, then I packed up and headed down the other side of the mountain.

Not too far down it started to rain so I pulled out my rain jacket and put it on. A little while later, Luana, Patty and Lisa, hiking with Matt (a fellow celiac) breezed by me. I just cannot go fast on this rock. The back side of the mountain was just as rocky as the front and I had difficulty getting over these boulders. I'm just terrified of slipping; falling; breaking a bone. So, excruciatingly slowly, I work my way down the mountain. The 1.7 miles took me 2 1/2 hours. Then I was out of the alpine area and into the boreal zone of spruce and balsam woods. The going is still very steep and I struggle going down and not slipping on the slick rocks and ledges. The ground is so saturated that at one point I slid in the mud about 5 feet, missing rocks and roots before I regained my balance.

The rain continues and I'm soaked thru. The trail is a streambed and my boots are fully saturated. At the 3 mile point (of an almost 8 mile trail day), I finally reach the 1st of several trail junctions. I've been hiking 4 hours. There's no place to sit and rest; everything is wet. I'm a little tired and hungry but I don't want to sit and eat in the rain. Also, if I stop, I'll get cold. I'm also worried about my slow pace. I don't stop to eat or rest, I push on.

The trail is still a running stream with lots of rocks and ledges to climb down. I'm still struggling. Several large creeks are full to the brim. I just wade across as I can't get the boots any more wet than they already are and the rocks usually used as stepping stones are all under water. I'm going at a faster pace than before but still not making any great speed. I cross the Mt Washington Auto Rd and reach the Old Jackson Rd trail. There there's a sign that gives the milage for Pinkham Notch as 1.9 miles. Big Hooray! It's 3:30pm. I may get to the lodge by 4:30pm.

The first 1/2 mile of the trial is some climbing and descending but then becomes a fairly level, gravelly track. There are still streams to cross and the trail is still a stream and there are still lots of mud holes but the going is now so much easier. Finally, I round a turn and there's Pinkham. I made it in at 1635. I dump a lot of gear in the trunk of the car and get my dry clothes and shoes to take into the lodge with me. I'm so happy to get in out of the rain and get clean and dry.

So that's the end of this adventure. Only a few scrapes and bruises from a fall on a slick rock today. I'll have to see about my toes tomorrow. They're too water logged now to see what kind of beating they took today. Tomorrow I'll have better perspective on the trip and be glad I did it.

Big Lesson Learned: Bring my gaiters and rain pants!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home