Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Sunday, August 10, 2008

Day 3 NH White Mountains 8/6/08



An E-Ticket Day!

I was awake at 6am. I stayed in my bunk waiting for the 0630 wake up call. The hut croo made me corn meal mush, fruit and yogurt and eggs for breakfast. I was packed up and out the door by 0750. The trail began an immediate ascent but not too steep or for too long. I was above tree line in an hour and stayed there till I got to Lake of the Clouds hut. The wind and rain were brutal. The wind drove the rain sideways and with such force it felt like ice. The wind blew so hard, it came close to knocking me over, only my hiking poles were keeping me upright. (I found out the next morning that the wind speed was 25 - 30 MPH with gusts up to 57mph) Near the top of Mt Franklin, 3 women (Patty, Lisa and Luana), whom I met last night at Mizpah hut, passed me on the way to Lakes hut. Soon, I got to a sign post letting me know the hut was 2 miles away. Not a lot of climbing in this section. If not for the weather, this would have been a great hike. When I had a second to glance around, the alpine area reminded me of the Scottish heather highlands. But there wasn't time or good opportunity to dally.

I was totally soaked thru, even boots were completely saturated. The trail at this point was fairly level and straight so I was able to pick up the pace. I was getting tired and it would be time for a break in gentler climes than this, however, I decided to push on to the hut. The general estimated time for this hike is 4 hours. So I guessed I would be there about 1230. Visibility was poor and I got to another signpost directing people to a loop trail going up another mountain. This is for those peak baggers who "collect" ascents but I stayed on the AT (also called the Crawford Trail). Almost by surprise I came upon the hut. Turns out I had picked up the pace considerably because it was only 1130!

Inside the hut I was streaming water and then realized my pack cover was gone. Gone with the wind; LOL! So, once dry and getting warm, I sat with Lisa, Patty and Luana. I mentioned my pack cover. It turns out someone found it and passed it to them and they brought it to the hut. Happy Day! So more and more people are piling into the hut. It's going to be a full house tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home