Connie's Appalachian Hike

A web history of my training, preparation and history of my Appalachian hike adventure. Then any other hiking tales I like to add.

Monday, December 11, 2006

Cold Stream Upper Falls

On Sunday the 10th, I hooked up with my hiking friend Kathy who scoped out the unmarked trail to Cold Stream upper falls. Some of the Mohawk Valley Alpiners I have already met on other hikes, a couple of folks from the Schenectady ADK club and 2 newcomers were also along for a total of 10 in the group. We started from the Cold Stream bridge trail head of the Northville - Lake Placid trail then got off the trail and followed Cold Stream upstream. There was about 1 - 2 inches of snow on the ground and a very gentle rise to the "trail" pretty much the whole way in. We started about 10:15am and got to the upper falls about 12 noon. The falls were already frozen, very pretty. We could go out into the stream below the falls, brush the snow off the rocks and sit and have lunch. The way back was easy, since it was generally down hill. The temp made it into the 40's and the sky was a clear blue, not a cloud in it. I couldn't have ordered a better day. We have promised ourselves to go back another time for a look at the lower falls.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home